REST & REJUVENATION
5 quick tips for busy people
Like you, I am a busy mama. I work, study, create (this here blog), parent, friend and wife. I love all of these things, and all of these things love me. From time to time I find myself spinning a little out of control. It might be because I haven’t had the sheer energy that comes from when things line up and you feel on top of the world. Or it might be because we have a run of sleep interrupted nights for a variety of kid related reasons. Sometimes it’s because my work doesn’t work as well I would like. These things can be enough that I notice a sluggishness in my body. Then I realise I’m running low on energy. I can tell because my resilience drops, my ability to parent calmly drops, my feelings of capacity and calm deplete. In short, I start to feel a little out of control.
Here’s my go to list of things I do to nourish and rejuvenate:
- I go home: As in my house. Someone once said to me that as she puts the key in her lock she feels an overwhelming relief at being in her safe space. On days where I am overwhelmed, I make a break for home.
- I snuggle up to my people: This usually entails popping some popcorn and dousing it with apple cider vinegar, butter and salt and throwing on a movie. The movie bit isn’t normally glamorous (think Thomas the Tank engine and other variations), but the company is everything.
- I read: I find immersing myself in other people’s words really energising. Sometimes I’m all about fiction, sometimes biographies, sometimes I am reading others work to make sense of something that is on my mind.
- Drink something hot: As my friend Liz always says, drinking a hot drink grounds you. I always feel centered and rejuvenated after a hot chocolate or chai. It’s the perfect quick pick me up for a mama on the run.
- Get outside: Give yourself the gift of a ‘pattern interrupt’. Sit on the grass, look up at the sky. Move your body. Put on some uplifting music. Dance.
I find that when I feel energised, nothing is too much trouble. I connect easily, create easily and have more patience and enthusiasm. When I am overstretched, I become out of balance which becomes a slippery slope to a potential downward spiral. So next time you are starting to notice yourself becoming wobbly, do something that lifts your spirits quickly – do something to nourish and rejuevenate.
How do you rest and rejuvenate?
LIKE THIS? READ MORE
One simple way to bring that spark back to your relationship. No matter how long you’ve been together, OR how stressed and busy you are.
Have you ever scrolled through social media pages and seen a couple around your age and stage, who are laughing and having fun?
In the lead up to the holidays, life can become turbo charged. I’m going to call it ‘Project Holidays’.
Are you the kind of person who folds themselves into a smaller space to make room for other people on public transport?